oVirt Guest Agent
The agent is an application which run as a background process inside the guest. It provide information and preform actions that can't easily be achieved from outside the guest's operating system.
The agent provides the following information:
- Machine name - Show the virtual machine's host name.
- Operating system version - Show the operating system's version. Linux: this value is the kernel version. Windows: it is the Windows version name (e.g. Windows XP or Windows 7).
- IP(v4) addresses - List of all the virtual machine's IP addresses. Only IPv4 addresses is reported.
- Installed applications - List in installed applications. Linux: application list is set using the configuration file. Windows: installed applications list is based on value read from registry.
- Available RAM - The amount of unused physical memory. This value probably include memory like cache, or else the memory usage will always be (or near) 100% usage.
- Logged in users - List of all logged-in users.
- Active user - The user which currently is using the virtual machine's "physical hardware". Redundant since RHEV-M is treating the SPICE's ticket owner as the active user.
The agent notify on the following events:
- Power Up - Send when agent start its execution.
- Power Down - unused
- Heartbeat - Message is sent every few seconds to notify that the agent is running. The notification includes the guest's available RAM.
- User Info - Active user was changed.
- Session Lock - Desktop was locked (Windows).
- Session Unlock - Desktop was unlocked (Windows).
- Session Logoff - A user was logged off (Windows).
- Session Logon - A user was logged on (Windows).
- Agent Uninstalled - Agent was removed from system. Expected to be sent from the agent's installer.
The following actions can be requested from the agent: